Monday, October 17, 2011

Taking Care of MOM

My buddy Bert said I should write about this so that’s why I am going to give it a go, even though it’s a bit embarrassing and I know there are many of us who do the same thing for the people we love.  Here goes.

(This is us poolside at my gal pal, Belle, house)

See my MOM has type 1 Diabetes.  She has had it for the majority of her life, but until several years ago she was not diagnosed with it. This means that she has several complications and for some reason one of those complications, for my MOM, is she slips into comas. It’s scary! The scariest time is when she is asleep.


When my MOM starts going into a coma while she is sleeping, I know it’s happening and I jump into action. I start whining right in her face. I push her with my nose, pull at her hand. I bark and I jump up and down on the bed or couch. I do whatever I can to make her come around so she can take her medication so she'll be OK.

Sometimes I am met with pushing away, but that does not stop me, I keep going until she responds. But like I said I know many, many of us would do the same thing for the people we love. But still not bad for a rescue dog, a dog who was abandoned TWICE in the first six months of his life. I Love my MOM and will do what it takes to keep us together.

“The dog is the most faithful of animals and would be much esteemed were it not so common. Our Lord God has made his greatest gift the commonest.” -Martin Luther

Blessings,
Goose


6 comments:

  1. What a wonder you are, Goose. I have heard of dogs who could sense hypo- and hyperglycemia and I am thrilled that you are among them. I've only just "met" your mom and I don't want anything to happen to her either. I'm glad you shared this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great that you are both living your purpose and God included you in each other's lives to do so!

    AROOOOF!
    Boondocks & The Love Shack Pack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you did real good.

    When your mom told My Vickie about what you do, it made her teary. She even made a special place in her heart for you, one that she doesn't have for all my other friends here at the Day Care.

    I mean she loves them all but she loves you a little bit more every time she learns more about you.

    I guess I am kinda proud to know you to. I am not sure that I would know what to do if something like that happened to My Vickie. You should teach a doggy class.

    Love ya
    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears streaming down my face, you have hit the nail on the head with your wonderful words and work!! God bless you both. So glad you have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I see what you mean by coma. Goose, you have a very very important job. Thanks for doing it so well. What would your mom do without you?

    My dog, K, helps me a lot, particularly after my spine surgeries by doing things like picking up things that I drop or pulling laundry out of the washer. So, I know what it's like. The dog-human relationship goes both ways, with each giving to the other. Love is the main ingredient.

    Please keep taking care of your mom, Goose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

    Click Here
    Dcurbanmom.com

    ReplyDelete